Monday, November 21, 2011

Kombucha Bottling Time



After a month the Kombucha has been fermenting and is now ready to be bottled. In reality it could have been bottled a week sooner and is probably a little more tarty or vinegary. I can now add in organic fruit juice or fruit pieces. I think I will add in lemon or apple juice and ginger in the next batch. It builds up natural carbonation as it ferments. The scoby (mother) or fungus disk that grows on the top of the tea is anaerobic & can be reused in the next batch as a starter and will grow a new baby in the next batch. During the bottling process the bottle needs to be sealed and refrigerated. Caution needs to be used as bottles can explode if they build up too much gas; bottles need to be burped to release the pressure and not stored at room temperature. I didn't want to spend a mint on making this and bottling it into small beer bottles that cost $12 bucks a case, plus buying caps and a capper so I just put it into this hinged jar with a rubber gasket and will keep it in there for now.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also for those of you that are curious on making your own Kombucha, should know that I boiled all my utensils, only use glass or wood as it can react to plastic and metal and my hands were rinsed with soap containing grapefruit seed extract as an antibacterial. You can create good clean fungus with clean utensils or you can create bad fungus if not taking the proper precautions.